Kardashian vs. Emerald Weddings
of the year??
Hello my party princes and princesses,
I find myself doing something I swore I would never do, mentioning the name Kim Kardashian on this blog. Ugh!! But I feel I must! Whether you’ve wanted to or not, we’ve all been dragged along for the ride that I like to call “Kim Kardashian’s Krazy Konnubial Khaos”. (My apologies to spelling teachers everywhere)
Not only does it irk me that she treats weddings and marriage with such irreverance (I’ll save that for another blog post), but I cringe at the very idea of spending 20 million dollars on a one day event for 500 people. Now I love a great wedding, don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t be in this business otherwise, but there is no need to spend anywhere near that amount to make it fantastic.
As a wedding planner and recent bride, I’m appalled at her wedding costs, especially since the marriage lasted barely longer than the honeymoon! My own fabulous wedding (eco-chic, of course) was two years ago so I’m putting my wedding up against Kim’s in this chart. Today I get to play with the idea “What would I buy, besides my dream wedding, with 20 million dollars” Here’s what I would purchase with that amount of money!
Which wedding packs the bigger "Wow" factor?
These charities and ideas are all very near to my heart for one reason or another.
- $1,500,000 to North Texas Food Bank – We all know what horrible economic times we are living in. I’ve had friends who have had to go to NTFB to get food for their family. This much money would go a long way towards feeding those who don’t have anything.
- 150 Angel funded small businesses – We all need an angel now and then. $10,000 can go a long way towards helping someone realize their dream or make a new life for them and their family.
- $1,000,000 to the Wounded Warrior Project – I never forget the debt I owe to those men and women in uniform! My freedom is so precious to me and I have ultimate respect for those who serve this country so I can teach others how to save it in a different way. I would donate in the names of my Grandpa Wagner, brother-in-law Ray Frederick and good buddy James Foster who all served! Thank you all!!
- 10,900 Holiday adoptions through Allen Comunity Outreach – Imagine having no toys at Christmas!! And not because you pulled some “Dennis the Menace” prank, but because your guardians couldn’t afford it. The thought of that always makes me sad. The ability to give almost 11,000 local kids the christmas of their dreams makes me so happy!
- 3 water drilling rigs for Charity : Water charitywater.org – Ever since my family took a mission trip to South Africa, this has really been on my mind. Diseases from unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war. Children are especially vulnerable, as their bodies aren’t strong enough to fight diarrhea, dysentery and other illnesses.
- 40,000 Emergency Family kits for the Red Cross – Disasters suck! Tsunamis, tornados, earthquakes. Families who have lost everything in a disaster need immediate help to make it through the first terrifying weeks. A kit that provides a month’s supplies for a family overseas—including a cooking set, toilet paper, toothbrushes, water containers and a blanket.
- 30,000 honeybee hives from Heifer International – Those of you who know me know my deep and abiding love for this amazing charity! Giving a person the toold and education they need to make their life better is one that resonates with this chica verde! This would not only help the families who receive the hives, but also the dwindling honeybee population which plants and flowers desperately need to thrive. Read more about honeybee helps here. Aaaah, I love alliteration almost as much as honey! =o)
- $1,000,000 to reforestation through the Nature Conservancy. That would buy 1 million Ice Cream Bean trees!! No, I’m not making that up, it’s a real tree! =o)
- $1,000,000 to the Fisher House – For those of you who don’t know, the Fisher House is to veterans receiving treatment at VA hospitals what the Ronald McDonald House is to children needing hospital care. It’s a nice, safe, free place for families who can’t afford a long term hotel room to stay in while their loved one is in the hospital. My brother-in-law went through several years of tests before they did his brain surgery and my sister stayed at the Houston Fisher House several times during that trying time. I just can’t say enough great things about the people who work there, the volunteers who bring in group meals and the cleanliness of the place. I would be honored to donate to their worthy charity.
- $1,500,000 to North Texas Make a Wish Foundation – I love the idea of granting wishes to someone who could use a little magic in their life!!
- $2,000,000 to Cystic Fibrosis Foundation – What a horrible disease! I would never want to put anyone through that! Growing up, my sister and I had a really good friend with CF. He is truly an inspiration to me & the reason I support the CF Foundation now. He is sarcastic and funny to the extreme and he never let his illness get him down. I remember visiting him in the hospital and hearing him talk about his nurse Brunhilda who wanted to give him a sponge bath. I’m happy to say he had a lung transplant and he is doing great! 37 years old & still side-splittingly funny! =o)
- $1,000,000 to college scholarships for students who want to make this world a better place in some way- whether it’s preserving our heritage, finding the new eco-friendly engine, studying green interior design, etc. I’d like to make sure the best and brightest are focusing on making this planet better for those around them!
and that, ladies and gents, is how yours truly would spend 20 million dollars!! Any thoughts, questions, concerns? Any bored billionaires looking for a great and meaningful way to make a difference? I’ll let you have my list for free! =o)
Until next time, Wishing you “Love, Laughter, and Happily Ever After. . . .”,
Melissa Wagner-Gens, PMP
Owner & Chief Chica Verde
Emerald Events & Weddings
Emerald Certified Seminars
Be Brilliantly Green; Be Emerald!